Thursday, July 24, 2008

Alive, and Grieving Onward

 
I want to begin with a huge thank you to all who wrote me comments on my last entry. The overwhelming pouring in of support was truly amazing and helped make me feel much less alone. It is hard to express how much I appreciate the recognition that I am part of a caring and supportive community. It means more to me than any of you can know. I especially appreciate the words of my small world of regular readers-the whole experience still makes me cry-in a good way, of course.
 
I got home late Saturday, and managed to hold it together until I saw my new therapist on Monday. This time frame had been especially difficult because I moved from one therapist-Cathy-to another-Nicole-before I left for Meg's wedding. It seemed the right thing to do at the time, but I had had only one meeting with Nicole, and Cathy knew all the family dynamics, what my Mom's relationship was with me, how alienated I have been from my father all my life, all sorts of stuff about Catherine and Luke, my siblings, and how I have in my life with blow after blow, surgery after surgery.
 
I have talked to Cathy by phone twice, but have also said my farewells to her and committed to Nicole. I saw her Monday after oon and could finally let go. I've been a wreck since, but in a good, positive, accepting way. Mourning is so individual and I have never had so much to grieve over before, that I am trying to be gentle with myself and go with whatever comes up.
 
Nicole was very helpful in one way, by telling me it was OK not to talk with my siblings for a while- a really good idea. She was much less helpful when she told me to gather my all my friends around, at home and in person. I rather bitterly reminded her that my "presenting problem" was the lack of friends-my only three friends all work and have crazy busy lives of their own. They care, and call, but are completely unavailable during the long days I must spend alone.
 
I never realized how much of my life was spent telling my self, I'll have to tell Mom this. or Mom will laugh at that. I miss her terribly.
 
On the other hand, I will keep on keeping on, as I always do, because, after all, what other option is there? I'm not cleaning house or organizing my life at the moment, but am forgiving myself, knowing I will eventually.
 
Again, I must thank everyone who commented, who sent prayers or thoughts or energy, for all of it has helped as I move through this thing called grieving.
 
Blessings to all of you. Margo



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

if I were there I'd hug you all up (((((((((((Margo)))))))))) and remember our Lady's arms are always around you!!  Blessings** Teresa

Anonymous said...

Margo, As usual I missed you coming online, work always gets in the way of everything, you are in my thoughts, hope we can connect soon, Love Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the wisest stuff is also the simplest. You're quite right, what ELSE could you do but keep going on?  I think we trip ourselves up misfocusing energies down the rabbit hole of false alternatives.  You need to keep living in acceptance, including of your grief, and the next steps will reveal themselves.

Anonymous said...

Everyone who comes to your journal loves you Margo.  We are all here for you honey.  People grieve in their own way, and you feel free to talk to all of us here anytime you want.  We are holding your hand through this.
Love you my friend,
Connie

Anonymous said...

It's good that at least you have the support from people on here, Margo. Having lost my mother nearly 3 months ago, I am to a certain extent familiar with the process you are going through, except that you have now lost both parents. However, you appear to be on the right track, and I wish you strength in the weeks and months ahead.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip/

Anonymous said...

It's a process that's different for everybody...and there's no "right" way to do it.  Keep going, dear one.

(hug)
Russ

Anonymous said...

I've got no words of wisdom, but I do have a plethora of hugs to share.... consider yourself hugged every hour.  ;-)

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart, Margo.  I cannot be there in person, but I am there in heart and spirit.  I cannot know the depths of your feelings and fears.  I can only estimate  the tear your feel in your heart.  I know I will feel the same devastation when I lose my dear mother.

Hugs to you and please know that you are truly loved!

Deb

Anonymous said...

Margo, if I was there I would give you the biggest hug ever.
Gaz xxx