Thursday, April 27, 2006

Catching Up and Getting Out Some

To read this in a better form, go to MagogoSMusing at Blogger.

Spring has finally really arrived in my corner of Connecticut. The daffodils are blooming in waves,my neighbors magnolia is at its peak of glory, and we are all emerging, blinking in the sunlight. I am emerging a bit, too, thanks to Wellbutrin and my new snazzy cobalt blue rolling walker.

I have been struggling all winter with dizziness when I stand up-my blood pressure falls as much as 20 points sometimes. When this happens my knees go wobbly and I go down-sometimes hard. I have learned to stand up slowly and wait before I move, but there are other times when I am standing  and turn around, take a step, and go down-yelling "timber!" as I head for the floor.

Needless to say, this has been concerning since I live alone now and have a very hard time getting up, because I am still not very strong. My neurologist attributes all this to neuropathy from 30+ years of diabetes. With much less weight on my feet-I've lost over 160 lbs since my heaviest- my feet are in less firm contact with the floor than in the past.
I also stagger all over the road when I walk.

Hence the rolling walker. Walking with a cane aggravated my shoulders, but with my walker I can now walk a mile without staggering or falling down! Doesn't sound like much, but for me it's amazing.

I am getting out more socially, too. I am forcing myself to accept any invitation that come my way-a St. Patrick's Day party, an art auction for our local HIV/AIDS group, a Mary Kay make up party(!), a drumming circle. I am struggling to make the best of what comes my way, trying to meet new people(very difficult for a real introvert like me).

Have I emerged from the cave yet? Not yet, but occasionally I can see a glimmer of light far away, shining in the darkness, as I struggle down the path using my rolling walker and with the candle perched in my walker's basket. It also has a seat so I can occasionally rest.

Blessings, Margo

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG........You are doing well Margo. I am so proud of you. I think you are ready for spring and it is ready for you. I think that going out ocassionally will do you good. I know it's hard to do but you will feel better for doing it!  Keep up the good work and also hope your dizzyness goes away.  Anne

Anonymous said...

We have been horrible at updating our journals lately huh ?  Take the invites and get out once in awhile. It will do you good.  All the best always !!

NJLB
http://journals.aol.com/njlittlebear/MyBigFatGeekLife

Anonymous said...

Margo, you are an amazing lady and a great friend, I think it will do you good to get out sometimes, I used to be really shy but now I find I like going out too, I hope you start feeling better soon, Love and Hugs Lisa , Thanks for commenting in my journal !

Anonymous said...

I so admire your spirit. Keep getting out there and enjoy the Spring.

Anonymous said...

WTG on the walking! Take all the invites you can get. The cave can be cozy but the light is far better. Take it from another introvert.

Anonymous said...

Margo,
I'm so glad that you are getting out more . . .  its an effort, but the less we do, the less we do . . .

Success breeds success!!!

I think YOU are on your way to SUCCESS!!!

I'm happy for you, although I know that there are some dark times.  Know that there are people like me thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!  ;-)

Have I told you that I write a daily Email and it goes out to about thirty people?  It's called POSITIVE PALS . . .  just lots of daily positive thoughts and a few jokes, ways to cope.  Let me know if you'd like to get a copy of one!  ;-)

                                                                                     Cyn
http://journals.aol.com/cyndygee/TheRealWorldofcyndygee

Anonymous said...

I'll have Miss Patti make a bubble wrap dress for you!

Anonymous said...

It is good to know a walker can make such a difference in a person's life.  Glad to know you're doing better.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I wanted to add this is your ONE and ONLY chance to pick a name out for your grandchild to call you.   I chose ChiChi for me.....it's a name that a baby call say fairly early in life.   Have fun.    Anne